Re: It booooooooooots!

To: alambie@wellington.sgi.com (Alistair Lambie)
Subject: Re: It booooooooooots!
From: Mike Shaver <shaver@neon.ingenia.ca>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 1997 19:56:31 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Thus spake Alistair Lambie:
> I used to have that...you probably haven't got a rarp server set up, so it
> can't find its address.  One of the things David was going to add was that
> ability to read it out of NVRAM...but that wasn't high on the priority list!
>  For now, the only way is to have a rarp server.

Actually, you can do it with
boot -f bootp()server:/vmlinux nfsaddrs=my.ip.ad.dr:nfs.ip.ad.dr

It mounts it now (I have the NFS daemon running with debugging on so
that I can watch) but it just stops after it looks at tty[4123 -- in
that order].

I'm going to see how the SPARC guys did it; I think it's just a matter
of getting the device entries correct.

> Did you get my root filesystem etc off http://reality.sgi.com/ariel/alambie.
> This should give you the bits you need to get multiuser (init), set up
> networking and mount disks.

Yeah, and that's what I'm using for my root filesystem.
It mounts everything and checks out stuff like /var/log/utmp (!), but
then hangs after it looks at the ttys.

Curious...

Mike

#>           Resident Linux bigot and kernel hacker. (OOPS!)
#> `If you get bitten by a bug, tough luck...the one thing I won't do
#> is feel sorry for you.  In fact, I might ask you to do it all over
#> again, just to get more information.  I'm a heartless bastard.'
#>                       -- Linus Torvalds (on development kernels)