Re: Is this a silly idea?

To: yobs@storm.engr.sgi.com (Donna Yobs)
Subject: Re: Is this a silly idea?
From: ariel@yon.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 1996 15:34:30 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: linux@neteng.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com

>lm is right, we don't want to let the xfs source out;
>but if we could do just the loadable modules it would
>show an advantage of mips technology on linux (or is
>that counter culture, sigh).

Donna,

I think this is a good realistic compromise that can be accepted
both by SGI and the Linux community.

On the way to "world domination now" (as Linus puts it), Linux
enthusiasts must learn how to realistically compromise here and there.

Think of it: a much more significant "compromise" is to support
the Windows API via WINE etc. rather than trying to force the Unix
APIs upon the rest of the software-developers-world and lose.

With clever compromises that the commercial world can accept
and by keeping the vast majority of the value under the GPL,
Linux will gradually get where Linus (and some of the rest of us :-)
want it to be.
--
Peace, Ariel