progress, finally...

To: linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Subject: progress, finally...
From: "David S. Miller" <dm@neteng.engr.sgi.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Jun 1996 19:12:02 -0700
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Ok, I have a complete compilation environment that seems to work quite
well.

All the tools are GNU, I have gcc/ld/as/etc. setups which can create
either big or little endian kernels in either ELF or ECOFF format.
The target format is that used by the existing Linux/MIPS people.

These tools have been linking kernels for two days, I finally got a
big endian kernel that sash would eat and it went fine until it tried
to look for DECstation devices as that is one of the only machine
types the existing Linux/MIPS kernels support (splat!). ;-)

For now I'm going to hack the ARC prom code and the SCSI driver in
parallel and see how far I can get it booting, more to come.

Later,
David S. Miller
dm@sgi.com