Re: linux needs bsd networking stack

To: nn@lanta.engr.sgi.com (Neal Nuckolls)
Subject: Re: linux needs bsd networking stack
From: Alan Cox <alan@cymru.net>
Date: Thu, 30 May 1996 11:12:12 +0100 (BST)
Cc: dm@neteng.engr.sgi.com, lmlinux@neteng.engr.sgi.com, sparclinux-cvs@caipfs.rutgers.edu, alan@cymru.net, torvalds@cs.helsinki.fi
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
> Whether the linux kernel networking implementation is better or
> worse than the BSD code isn't my point. The fact that it's not
> clearly superior, only very different, from the standard is.

Chuckle. The BSD stack doesn't even match the RFC's [ie THE STANDARD]

> work in this area I can readily grab many free BSD-based protocol
> pieceparts off the net. New routing protocols, ATM signalling, TCP
> conjestion improvements, realtime protocol stacks, etc. are all

Let me see: Routing protocols is userspace. ATM signalling we have (going in
2.1), Vegas we have in the pre 2.1 stuff. realtime - if you mean low latency
then take a look at unet.

> Actually, for the startups that I mentioned - those interested in
> shipping a commercial product - there is no choice, it's FreeBSD,
> because it comes without the GPL kiss of death.

So "We should change it for the startups" was message 1. "The startups wont
use it was message two". Do you have bullet holes in your shoes by any
chance ?

> I think that basing any improvements on a 4.4BSD-based linux stack
> would result in something more usable.  Also, as a side effect, it
> would encourage more talented networking people to participate and
> isn't this what freeware is all about?

We can't use the 4.4BSD stack so that issue is moot. Free software is also
about high
technical quality. If I wanted to get paid lots of money for hacking kernels
I'd go
and work for mirkosoft