some projections...

To: linux@yon.engr.sgi.com
Subject: some projections...
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@caip.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 May 1996 02:25:20 -0400
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Iris SCSI driver: Mildly amusing, once I get the dma stuff straight
                  should be a 3 or 4 day affair to get going in an
                  initial working state.

Iris Ethernet driver: Cake walk, 3 nights tops.

It seems the HPC drives both of these devices in a similar manner, it
also seems that it has little state machines which do things like
retransmit collision packets on the SEEQ and various SCSI sequences as
well.  I need to get it straight in my head where the software driver
actually comes into play.  I like the HPC dma architecture btw.

Console driver: I assume the keyboard/mouse is driven off the Zilog
                uarts, if so this should be relatively simple as I can
                adapt most of the code from my Sparc stuff and how I
                layed that code out.  As for the screen I just need
                to figure out where the frame buffer lives and how to
                play with the palette registers and I'm set.  Also
                should be cakewalk to do serial console as well. This
                might be a 4 or 5 day job depending upon how things
                go initially.

So in less than two weeks I could have drivers for all the major
devices going already.

A large section of my work will be carefully going over the existing
code the linux-mips people have and putting together the initial
foundation so that I can at least start compiling kernels, then things
can run smoothly.

Yawn, stretch, more to come...

Later,
David S. Miller