Re: lmbench with new checksum code...

Subject: Re: lmbench with new checksum code...
From: "David S. Miller" <>
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 00:01:05 -0400
   From: (Larry McVoy)
   Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 09:03:36 -0700

   I think your 4.8MB/sec number is pretty studly.  That means you are
   checksumming 9MB/sec as well as the protocol stack on a system that
   bcopies at ~20MB/sec.  You're already better than 2x the SunOS code.
   Call it a day, you won.

I did not win, this is unacceptable.  I am completely convinced based
upon the edge I have over Solaris for context switching and general
process/trap operations I should be able to match it even with
everything going through real networking.

Linux + full networking overhead == Solaris memcpy/cow-page overhead

I cannot accept this piss poor performance I'm getting, it must be
made faster.

(Yes, I'm rediculious, Larry will tell you others how I feel that if
 I am presented with a "next generation" cpu and I cannot get from
 trap entry to kernel c-code in 12 completely pipelined non-stalling
 instructions then some hardware engineer has completely wasted his
 precious time ;-)

David S. Miller