Re: scope of this mailing list

To: Larry McVoy <lm@neteng.engr.sgi.com>
From: Erik Troan <ewt@redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 20:06:49 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: linux@neteng.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
On Mon, 29 Apr 1996, Larry McVoy wrote:

> to get a Linux/MIPs distribution.  Furthermore, givem that Linux/MIPs
> will run IRIX elf binaries, we might be able to merge the Freeware and
> Linux/MIPs efforts - they have a lot of overlap.  Something to think
> about.

This raises a good question - what is the relationship between the SGI port,
a port to Digital MIPS/TurboChannel machines, and the MIPS/PC port (that
works on MIPS machines with PCI/EISA buses)? Will they all be the same
endian? Should binarises be comaptible? What about sources such as libc
and the kernel syscall interface?

Erik

   Always hoped that I'd be an apostle. Knew that I would make it if I tried.
     Then when we retire we can write the gospels so they'll all talk about
         us when we die. - "The Last Supper" from Jesus Christ Superstar
|   Erik Troan   =   http://sunsite.unc.edu/ewt/   =   ewt@sunsite.unc.edu    |