Re: MIPS port kickoff meeting

Subject: Re: MIPS port kickoff meeting
From: "David S. Miller" <>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 22:05:40 -0400
   From: "Greg Chesson" <>
   Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 09:39:29 -0700

   There are US Gov't customers for Linux on SGI boxes who require
   64-bit OS.  So, let's support tho 32-bit ARCS boxes without
   compromising opportunities to sell new boxes (with 64-bit Linux).

Like I said I'll do the 32-bit port and work from there based upon how
I feel after that.

Remember I've got one kernel here which works on every 32-bit CPU type
Sun has every put into a box with almost no performance loss.  I can
do it too for MIPS and I will.  The goal being that some day I will be
able to slap the same kernel image into an INDY as I can for an ONYX
and a LEGO.

And also, I will design it such that, as in the traditional Linux
kernel model, you can config all this shit out and get the streamlined
minimal kernel which only works with a certain configuation. (MM code,
config it out because this is for an embedded system)

David S. Miller