Re: What target (was David ...)

To: mikemac@titian.engr.sgi.com (Mike McDonald)
Subject: Re: What target (was David ...)
From: ariel@yon.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 15:27:36 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: ariel@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com
>Mike dijo:
>>yo dijo:
>>
>>P.S.
>>gcc doesn't have support for 64 bit MIPS 27 ISA, I guess, but
>>nobody is stopping us from using our compilers (as well as gcc
>>at our convenience).
>
>  I strongly believe that using our compilers would be a "bad" thing
>for the initial port. Requiring someone to buy IDO inorder to compile
>a free OS seems like the "wrong" thing to me. Now, if we (SGI) decide
>to ship a Linux version, then yes, using our compilers is OK. Let's
>just make sure that the port is dependant on our compilers in any way
>at this point. (I doubt that's what you were suggesting. I just want
>to make it clear before we get started.)

Bob and I are working separately on making our compilers (actually only
the C one, not Ada :-) be bundled with Irix (and possibly licence enabled
for a nominal fee, which can be done automatically without human
intervention -- surprisingly this may increase revenues because
the cost of handling goes to zero and the potential upside due to
lowering barriers is large). I think we have a very good chance of
acheiving this as soon as our upcoming big software release.

Also, I agree, we should make sure that whatever we do is buildable
by gcc. And we should also be paying Cygnus to do a real supported
full port (including ld), but this is harder to achieve (need $$$
from management) at this point.  However, after we have Linux and it
takes off, everything related to free software would be possible :-)
--
Peace, Ariel