Re: David Miller is on the list

To: linux@yon.engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: David Miller is on the list
From: ariel@yon.engr.sgi.com (Ariel Faigon)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 1996 19:16:30 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: owner-linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com

>(note: I looked back over this mail after composing it and I want to
>       warn people who are not familiar with me yet that I am very
>       sarcastic and am full of ridicule even when discussing
>       important topics.  Please don't take it that I lack tact
>       or am not being serious, because that simply isn't the case.)

Feel free to express yourself, my english (colloquial and otherwsie)
is bad anyway, and I guess the others don't care :-)

>Here is what I need:
>
>       The following utilities I need for development.
>       1) CVS/RCS, latest on prep.ai.mit.edu is fine

RCS comes default with IRIX today. But I know it is not
the latest. OK, and I'll add cvs.

>       2) Emacs-19.31 (rms should release within 2 weeks)
>       3) All GNU smidgen-type utilies as the default binaries
>          (this include fileutils/sh-utils/sharutils/diffutils/
>           findutils/...)
>          Actually, Let me just stop short and say, if there is a
>          source tarball for it on prep.ai.mit.edu:/pub/gnu I would
>          like the latest installed on the machine I develop on.

Many of these are in our freeware project. Ready to install with
the click of a mouse. (Yes, one of the cool things about SGI is
a joe-user software installer infinitely better than RPM/glint.)

(yon) 84 /var/tmp> which find
/usr/freeware/bin/find
(yon) 85  /var/tmp> which tar
/usr/freeware/bin/tar
(yon) 86 /var/tmp> which grep
/usr/freeware/bin/grep
(yon) 87 /var/tmp> which chmod
/usr/freeware/bin/chmod

I'll add the missing ones. That's easy.

BTW, we called it '/usr/freeware' rather than '/usr/gnu' because
many packages are from other sources and because some of our
customers asked us to stay away from their /usr/local.

>       4) xfishtank (don't laugh)

Bingo. Larry runs this too. You weird people. Is this a conspiracy? :-)

>       5) fvwm
>
>       6) teco (Must support full teco command set as described
>          in original DEC manuals! TECO is _the_ renaissance editor!)

I'll try to build these too.

>       The following would be nice, but if it will give people
>       bladder problems to do these then don't go out of your
>       way:
>       1) MIPS 4[40]00 manual is some online format (not postscript,
>          something I can cut and paste out of an emacs buffer etc.
>          so maybe info or pure ascii text would be fine, I could
>          care less about the formatting, I just want the words
>          there)

For MIPS ABI stuff: try the following web site,

        http://www.mipsabi.org/
Especially:
        http://www.mipsabi.org/Tech/Technical.html

Tell us what's missing there.

As for the MIPS programmer's Assembly manual. There is an excellent one
internally on the Web... I'll try to get you a copy soon.

>       2) Docs on the ethernet/scsi interfaces and I/O bus
>          architecture for the first machine I will be getting
>          this to work on, again text/info format would be nice.
>          Of course I will probably just stuff in the ready
>          drivers you might be getting to me into Linux but I want
>          to write my own from scratch in the near future after
>          that.
>       3) I know as much as a bum on the street about SGI machines
>          and the various lines, a nice "roadmap to sgi workstations
>          and servers, plus the hardware gook thats inside" type
>          thing would be very useful to me.

I'll leave these to some other folks on the list.

>       I will feel more comfortable if:
>       1) I became very familiar with who the heavy low level MIPS
>          assembly level hackers are who I will be dealing with while
>          I am there.  Please tell me who they are, introduce, make
>          us say hello to each other, you get the idea.

I believe the most knowledgable low-level gurus on the list are
Bill Earl and Jim Barton, I'm sure there are more, I just don't
know everyone on the list personally ...

>       2) I know the policy on loud music in the office I'll be in
>          ;-)

I'm trying to get you an office right by mine :-)

>I've thought it over and to me the best plan for things this summer to
>me is:
>       a) R4400 32-bit "proof of concept, yeah we can pull it off"
>          port happens first, side effect is that I become intimate
>          enough with the chip that I can do things more efficiently.
>       b) From here we look into the 64-bit stuff and whether that is
>          is even desirable on 64-bit.  (this would be my first
>          64-bit port outside of my initial UltraSparc hacks)
>       c) Also think about the work needed to turn that code into
>          r3000 friendly code.  Should not be too much as I've done
>          the "write it on recent architecture design then backport
>          it to older design which had some limitations" already and
>          this didn't end up being so bad.

Cool.

>Expect more as I think it up... this should keep you guys busy for
>now.
>
>(Any dead-head tape traders at SGI engineering?  Just wondering, may
> want to start talking to them now ;-)

You'll find lots of them here ;-)

--
Peace, Ariel