Re: [update] [patch] linux: Cache coherency fixes

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: [update] [patch] linux: Cache coherency fixes
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 15:25:00 +0200
On Mon, Jul 29, 2002 at 04:29:35PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>  The following patch fixes all the places the default caching policy is
> used but various local hacks are coded.  Also the sc coherency algorithm
> is configured for R4k processors which was previously left as set (or not)
> by the firmware.  A side effect is <asm-mips64/pgtable-bits.h> is created
> and all conditional CPU options are set somehow.  Tested on an R4400SC
> (for both MIPS and MIPS64) and on an R3400.
>  Admittedly, CONF_CM_DEFAULT is defined in a bit weird way, but I couldn't
> figure any better one that wouldn't result in a serious but unnecessary
> header bloat.  If anyone has a better idea, please share any suggestions
> here.
>  OK to apply?

Looks mostly right except that the code in which deciedes
if a system is coherent is wrong.  Basically it assumes every R10000 or
every uniprocessor system is non-coherent and that's wrong.  As coherency
between CPUs and for DMA I/O is basically the same thing I've changed your
which did already exist; I don't think we need another config symbol to
handle this.  Will apply once I did a few test builds and patches the
whole thing into 2.5 ...