Re: [patch] linux: cpu_probe(): remove 32-bit CPU bits for MIPS64

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux: cpu_probe(): remove 32-bit CPU bits for MIPS64
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:14:07 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 01:55:13PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

>  There is no need to carry support for pure 32-bit CPUs around in
> cpu_probe() in arch/mips64/kernel/setup.c, since such CPUs are not
> supported by the port and likely won't ever reach that code due to a
> reserved instruction exception earlier.  The code is misleading and a
> possible cause of troubles, e.g. the 2.4 branch doesn't link now because
> of an unresolved reference to cpu_has_fpu() which is only needed for
> R2000/R3000.
>
>  The following patch removes the code for 2.4.  For the trunk
> cpu_has_fpu() would be removed as well.  Any objections?

I intentionally have that 32-bit stuff in the 64-bit kernel so we can simply
have share identical CPU probing code between the 32-bit and 64-bit kernels.
This in anticipation of a further unification of the two ports which still
duplicate plenty of code with just minor changes.

To make sharing easier I suggest to move all the CPU probing code into it's
own file, probe.c or so?