Re: [patch] linux: New style IRQs for DECstation

To: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux: New style IRQs for DECstation
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 20:03:43 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
On Mon, 8 Apr 2002, Jun Sun wrote:

> What is the intention of introducing MIPS_CPU_FPUEX?  It seems an overkill if
> it is just needed by DecStation.  How many CPUs really need this?

 It's needed by any system using a (logically) external FPU.  If set it
means there is no need to install a special FPU exception handler using a
general-purpose interrupt line.  It's a generic flag.

 Even if it's only of limited use now, it is not an excuse for not writing
clean code.  I'm afraid the current mess within the MIPS port is a result
of people trying to think locally and I'm trying to avoid it.  Are there
any trade-offs of this flags you see and I don't?  I'm willing to change
the code if there really are.

  Maciej