Re: [patch] linux 2.4.5: Export mips_machtype

To: Ralf Baechle <>
Subject: Re: [patch] linux 2.4.5: Export mips_machtype
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 18:36:35 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Harald Koerfgen <>,,
On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> >  The following patch exports mips_machtype to modules.  Please apply.
> Ok - but I'd like to burry the whole mips_machtype mechanism in 2.5.  To
> messy and requires a central authority to allocate machine types.  What
> do you think?

 No idea at the moment.  For DECs things are pretty easy.  The firmware
returns a unique system ID for each different kind of hardware.  It can be
used instead (actually mips_machtype is initialized bazed on what firmware
reports).  The ID is mostly useful for system-specific stuff, e.g. onboard
devices that cannot be identified or probed in another way.

 Note that for PCI-based systems, there is usually no problem -- PCI IDs
can be used instead in most cases.