Re: ll/sc emulation patch

To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Subject: Re: ll/sc emulation patch
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 12:53:12 +0200
Cc: Jan-Benedict Glaw <>,,
On Fri, Jul 13, 2001 at 12:52:55PM +0200, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> > There is a bunch of patches for ll/sc and MIPS_ATOMIC_SET floating around.
> > I came to the conclusion that I don't like any of them so I'm just working
> > on fixing the thing once and for all.
>  What about the _test_and_set syscall?  Having it implemented we could get
> rid of the MIPS_ATOMIC_SET hack for post-2.4.  Glibc may be made ready for
> the transition any time now.

I'm just making an attempt to re-implement the ll/sc emulation as light
as possible.  I hope to get the overhead down to the point were we don't
need _test_and_set anymore - in any case below the overhead of a syscall.

Have you ever profiled the number of calls to MIPS_ATOMIC_SET or
_test_and_set?  They'll be the other factor in a decission.