I am trying to create a stripped version of libc.so from glibc.2.1.95 src, by
including only minimal symbols.
original full size libc.so: 7.9 Meg
original libc.so but symbols stripped 1.7 Meg
(running mipsel-linux-strip libc.so)
Has anyone successfully reduced the size of the libc.so?
Here is what I did. I started with glibc 2.1.95 and cross compiled for MIPS.
A. Using Bradley D. LaRonde's ramdisk as a model
B. Ran strings on /lib/libc-2.0.7.so and /lib/ld-2.0.7.so on LaRonde's
Removed all the messages, leaving mostly symbols.
C. Ran a script, that took the symbols and found the corresponding
*.os file. And resolved rescursively all undefined symbols.
D. Extracted the commands used to create libc.so & ld.so, from
the log while cross compiling glibc. Theses included:
E. Replaced */stamp.os with the files found from step C.
F. Extracted the symbols required for the ls command., and added to
the *.os list.
This brought the size of the libc.so back to the original size
Philips Digital Network
1000 West Maude Avenue W3-948
Sunnyvale, CA 94085-2810