Has anyone successfully reduced the size of libc.so?

To: <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>, <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: Has anyone successfully reduced the size of libc.so?
From: anthony.wei@philips.com
Date: Thu, 3 May 2001 12:19:21 -0500
Cc: <brad@ltc.com>
Hi,

I am trying to create a stripped version of  libc.so  from glibc.2.1.95 src, by
including only minimal symbols.
        original full size libc.so:                             7.9 Meg
        original libc.so but symbols stripped           1.7 Meg
        (running mipsel-linux-strip libc.so)

Has anyone successfully  reduced the size of the libc.so?

Here is what I did.  I started with glibc 2.1.95 and cross compiled for MIPS.

        A.  Using Bradley D. LaRonde's ramdisk as a model
        B.  Ran strings on /lib/libc-2.0.7.so and /lib/ld-2.0.7.so on LaRonde's
ramdisk
                Removed  all the messages, leaving mostly  symbols.
        C.  Ran a script, that took the symbols and found the corresponding
                *.os file.  And resolved rescursively all undefined symbols.
        D.  Extracted the commands used to create libc.so & ld.so, from
                the log while cross compiling glibc.  Theses included:
                        dl-allobjs.os           libc_pic.a
                        librtld.os              ld.so
                        libc_pic.os             libc.so
        E.  Replaced */stamp.os with the files found from step C.
        F.  Extracted the symbols required for the ls command., and added to
the *.os list.
                This brought the size of the libc.so back to the original size
1.7Meg (stripped)).

Thanks.

Anthony Wei
Philips Digital Network