[ Re: Install-Guide for MIPS-Linux ????]

Subject: [ Re: Install-Guide for MIPS-Linux ????]
From: Ralf Baechle <>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:26:21 -0300
----- Forwarded message from Michael Engel <> -----

From: Michael Engel <>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:10:51 +0200 (MET DST)

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 01:54:57PM +0200, Meier, Carsten wrote:
> has anyone a little Install-guide to install a Linux / Kernel to a
> MIPS-10000 - Processor (Siemens RM600).

You have two choices...

The easy one: it doesn't work.
The complicated one: Start a port based on the existing Linux/MIPS
 kernel code.

In short, sorry, there is no support for RM600 systems in current kernels
and it would take a significant amount of work (and documentation from
Siemens) to port the Linux/MIPS kernel to the RM600.

Some work was done by Ralf Baechle and me to port Linux to RM200C (PCI-
based machines, Ralf) and RM200/RM400 (ISA/EISA-based machines, me)
but the RM600 series is quite different. So your only choice right now
is Sinix or donating the machine to an interested Linux kernel hacker ;-).

Michael Engel   (

----- End forwarded message -----