[engel@unix-ag.org: Re: Install-Guide for MIPS-Linux ????]

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: [engel@unix-ag.org: Re: Install-Guide for MIPS-Linux ????]
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 13:26:21 -0300
----- Forwarded message from Michael Engel <engel@unix-ag.org> -----

From: Michael Engel <engel@unix-ag.org>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:10:51 +0200 (MET DST)
To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Install-Guide for MIPS-Linux ????

Hi,

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 01:54:57PM +0200, Meier, Carsten wrote:
> has anyone a little Install-guide to install a Linux / Kernel to a
> MIPS-10000 - Processor (Siemens RM600).

You have two choices...

The easy one: it doesn't work.
The complicated one: Start a port based on the existing Linux/MIPS
 kernel code.

In short, sorry, there is no support for RM600 systems in current kernels
and it would take a significant amount of work (and documentation from
Siemens) to port the Linux/MIPS kernel to the RM600.

Some work was done by Ralf Baechle and me to port Linux to RM200C (PCI-
based machines, Ralf) and RM200/RM400 (ISA/EISA-based machines, me)
but the RM600 series is quite different. So your only choice right now
is Sinix or donating the machine to an interested Linux kernel hacker ;-).

regards,
        Michael
--
Michael Engel   (engel@unix-ag.org)