[gallone@ing.unipi.it: I have a Sony NWS3260]

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: [gallone@ing.unipi.it: I have a Sony NWS3260]
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:35:11 +0200
----- Forwarded message from Giuseppe Gallone <gallone@ing.unipi.it> -----

From: Giuseppe Gallone <gallone@ing.unipi.it>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 15:14:14 +0200 (MET DST)
To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: I have a Sony NWS3260

Following the home page of Linux/MIPS:

>Can I help?
>
>Sure! If you have a Mips box, please let us know. Eventually we find a
way to include your box in the target list. And we would of course
appreciate it, if you can spend some time into
>hacking kernel and/or user code. Please feel free to contact us at
linux-mips@fnet.fr!

I simply want to tell tou that I have a Mips box. More precisely, I have
an old Sony NWS3260 with R3000 processor and 16Mb RAM and 430Mb SCSI HD.
It is a little dream for me to see Linux running on this box...
At this time, I'm also able to boot the system from an Iomega ZIP100
SCSI cartridge where I prepared a minimal installation of the native
sony news-os (an SVR4 unix). Apart from dos floppies, I haven't still
found any way to make this box to read filesystems different from its
own (so I had to appropriately format the Zip cartridge), nor I can use
the network boot facilities it offers (it seems to use a proprietary
protocol). Anyway, the Sony News is networked with my x86-based linux
box, so it can exchange files with the world in a simple way.

I'm not so skilled in code hacking, and I cannot guarantee that I'll
have enough time to spend for make the little dream to came true, but
please feel free to try contacting me: I'll help if I'll be able to.
Bye,

G.Gallone

--
Giuseppe Gallone
INFM & Dipartimento Ingegneria Chimica, Chimica Industriale e Scienza dei

----- End forwarded message -----