Re: Support for smaller glibc

To: alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox)
Subject: Re: Support for smaller glibc
From: Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2000 09:13:45 -0700 (MST)
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr

> > > solved.  But forking a smaller libc of standard glibc is nothing but the
> > > St. Florian's principle ...
> >
> > Ulrich is refusing to do anything with it. Do you have any suggestions?
> > I will do my best to do it right. But I am afraid I cannot do it alone.
>
> Ulrich is right. Start from a library that is intended to be modular and
> embedded. Folks are already looking at using newlib for this.

        There are a few other methods. Lineo for instance has a utility
called Lipo which goes through all the binaries on a system and then
strips out all the library code that's unused, usually resulting in a
substantial reduction in the size of libc6. Lipo is a proprietary
app tho, currently only available supporting ia32 and ppc archetectures as
part of the Embedix SDK.

        There's also uClibc, and i've heard some talk of using bsd's libc,
which i understand is also smaller. These may require modification to the
sourcecode of your apps to work properly.

 - Eric