Re: Kernel compiler

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Kernel compiler
From: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@chem.unr.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 19:03:01 -0800
Cc: Keith Owens <kaos@melbourne.sgi.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Sat, Nov 04, 2000 at 03:53:26AM +0100, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> The reports regarding egcs 2.96 and newer misscompiling the kernel only
> affect x86 or are other architecture affected as well?  I don't have any
> pending compiler >= 2.96 related bug reports.

Somewhere between 1019 and 1023, a bug was introduced which causes
miscompilation. Symptom is oops on boot during RPC port lookups. I
don't know if this is still present, nor the exact nature of the
bug. It appears that some address offsets changed in the compiled code
from gcc 1019 to gcc 1023.

--
Keith M Wesolowski                      wesolows@chem.unr.edu
University of Nevada                    http://www.chem.unr.edu