Re: process lockups

Subject: Re: process lockups
From: Karsten Merker <>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:15:23 +0200
On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 07:51:42AM +0200, Houten K.H.C. van (Karel) wrote:
> Ralf Baechle wrote:
[hanging processes in status "D"]
> > I observe similar stuck processes on Origins - even without massive I/O
> > load.  I'm trying to track them but little success aside of fixing a few
> > unrelated little bugs.  Do you observe those on your R4k box also?
> On my DEC 5000/260 (R4k) I have no stuck processes, but I should mention
> that I am running without swap (I have 192Mb RAM).

Having swap or not does not seem to influence the behaviour - I also get
hangs with swap disabled. Good candidates for hangig are either tar or

> > Another things which I'm observing is that I occasinally can't unmount
> > a filesystem.  umount then says the fs is still in use.  Sometimes it's
> > at least possible to remount the fs r/o.  Have you also observed this one?
> Yes, but only the root FS. I thought I might have to upgrade to a newer
> mount program for the 2.4 kernel, or is the system call returning the error?

Similar effect here - sometimes unmounting the root fs on shutdown is
successfull, sometimes I get "/ is busy" without being able to find a
reason for that. Possibly it is a bug in the mount (I am still running

> > > Another thing I see on my 5000/150 (and only there - this is my only
> > > R4K-machine, so I do not know whether this is CPU- or machine-type-bound)
> > > is "top" going weird, eating lots of CPU cycles and spitting messages
> > > "schedule_timeout: wrong timeout value fffbd0b2 from 800900f8; Setting
> > > flush to zero for top". I know Florian also has this on his 5000/150.
> > > Anyone else with the same behavoiur or any idea about the cause for this?
> >
> > Setting flush to zero for <process name> means that the floating point
> > approximator is now enabled ;-)

#include <standard_disclaimer>