process lockups

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: process lockups
From: Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 03:22:32 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Hallo everyone,

I am running Kernel 2.4.0-test9 on a DECstation 5000/150. I am
experiencing a strange behaviour when having strong I/O-load, such as
running a "tar xvf foobar.tgz" with a large archive. After some time of
activity the process (in this case tar) is stuck in status "D". There is
neither an entry in the syslog nor on the console that would give me a
hint what is happening. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Another thing I see on my 5000/150 (and only there - this is my only
R4K-machine, so I do not know whether this is CPU- or machine-type-bound)
is "top" going weird, eating lots of CPU cycles and spitting messages
"schedule_timeout: wrong timeout value fffbd0b2 from 800900f8; Setting
flush to zero for top". I know Florian also has this on his 5000/150.
Anyone else with the same behavoiur or any idea about the cause for this?

Greetings,
Karsten
--
#include <standard_disclaimer>
Nach Paragraph 28 Abs. 3 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der