Re: Bug Tracker online

To: Klaus Naumann <spock@mgnet.de>
Subject: Re: Bug Tracker online
From: Keith M Wesolowski <wesolows@chem.unr.edu>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 08:32:12 -0700
Cc: Guido Guenther <guido.guenther@gmx.net>, Linux/MIPS list <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>, "Linux MIPS fnet.fr" <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
On Sun, Oct 22, 2000 at 10:58:58AM +0200, Klaus Naumann wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Oct 2000, Guido Guenther wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 07:45:22PM +0200, Klaus Naumann wrote:
> > Cool. I especially like the bug mailing list feature.
> > Would it make sense to group bugs by e.g. toolchain/kernel/...(i.e. add
> > some predefinded values to the "belongs to" field)?
>
> Well, I thought about that. The point is, that I don't know yet if the
> bugtracker doesn't get too inflexible if we use predefined
> values. WHat do you think ?

The trouble is, for some bugs, by the time you've figured out what the
bug belongs to, you're 90% of the way to having fixed it and there's
usually no point to putting it into the bug tracker. At the same time,
using something like "toolchain" is rather vague. It might be nice to
have a list of common trouble areas and then an "Other: ____________"
type field for bugs that aren't obvious.

--
Keith M Wesolowski                      wesolows@chem.unr.edu
University of Nevada                    http://www.chem.unr.edu