Re: The initial results (Re: stable binutils, gcc, glibc ...

To: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>
Subject: Re: The initial results (Re: stable binutils, gcc, glibc ...
From: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 10:15:04 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: jsun@hermes.mvista.com
Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Oct 2000, Jun Sun wrote:
> > If you have NEC DDB5476 board, you can also try out my kernel on the
> > following place.  This kernel supports nfs rootfs through on-board ether
>
> Was it difficult to get the builtin Ethernet working? I mean, is it now
> trivial to get it to work on the ddb5074 as well? I'm still not at work, so I
> cannot play with^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hwork on it myself.

It was a tough problem, and it took me a long time to figure out.
Basically, the srom only contains mac address - no check sum nor media
tables.  You need to by pass the checksum checking and eeprom parsing in
the driver code.  In addition, I have to reset the tulip chip at the
board startup time.  I use pmon to do the downloading.  Pmon must have
set the chip in some state that the linux driver cannot successfully
re-initialize it by default.

I also layout the PCI memory space idential to the physical memory
space, ie., system ram starts from 0.  I was concerned some drivers
don't do address translations between these two address spaces.

I actually have a DDB5074 board myself.  I can try it out myself, but I
am a little lazy to do that - not sure if anybody is still interested in
that board.

> > port, IDE disk, PS/2 keyboard/mouse, Voodoo3 2000/3000 PCI graphic cards
> > (framebuffer driver).
>
> Cool! Graphics!

It is fun to have graphics.  Yesterday I got hold of a MediaQ 200 card
and a fb driver for it.  It works like a charm.

Jun