Re: The initial results (Re: stable binutils, gcc, glibc ...

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: The initial results (Re: stable binutils, gcc, glibc ...
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 14:30:03 +0200
Cc: Jun Sun <jsun@mvista.com>, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com
Sender: flo@rfc822.org
On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 03:57:19AM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> loop:
>       [...]
>       beq     r1, r2, loop
>
> should be turned into:
>
> loop:
>       [...]
>       bnez    r1, r2, 1f
>       j       loop
> 1:
>
> but of course only if the branch destination is outside the 16-bit range.
> Thanks to the ever increasing code size there are now several realworld
> examples which run into this problem.  Volunteers?

By thinking about this without any knowledge of the binutils code generation.

How does this work if loop is only an external symbol ? The distance
will than be relevant when linking but then the code will already be there
and one would need to insert an instruction.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-5201-669912
      "Write only memory - Oops. Time for my medication again ..."