Re: stable binutils, gcc, glibc ...

To: "Jay Carlson" <nop@nop.com>, "Ralf Baechle" <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: stable binutils, gcc, glibc ...
From: "Bradley D. LaRonde" <brad@ltc.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2000 12:29:33 -0400
Cc: <linux-mips@fnet.fr>, <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>, "Mike Klar" <mfklar@ponymail.com>
From: "Jay Carlson" <nop@nop.com>
To: "Ralf Baechle" <ralf@oss.sgi.com>; "Jay Carlson" <nop@place.org>
Cc: <linux-mips@fnet.fr>; <linux-mips@oss.sgi.com>; "Mike Klar"
<mfklar@ponymail.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 14, 2000 12:11 PM

> > RALF: Do your softfp patches somehow cause problems with hardware fp
machines?
> > RALF: If not we could throw all things together.

> No, no problems at all.  They're just conditional on __HAVE_FPU__.
Consider
> ftp://ftp.place.org/pub/nop/linuxce/glibc-2.0.7-mips-softfloat.patch
> submitted for the 2.0.6 branch.
>
> I'm not really the head toolchain builder for linux-vr these days---Mike
> Klar has a set of unified patches he's been working on.

I would prefer to use mipsel tools and libraries from SGI and have the
linux-vr-specific stuff go away (with linux-vr just mirroring the SGI
stuff).

> Could somebody who already has signatures on file with the FSF add
multilib
> softfloat for mips-linux targets?  I mean, we (linux-vr) *think* we're
going
> to be switching over to the FP emulator soon, but it hasn't happened yet.
> Adding multilib is pretty harmless---I can't think of how it could screw
up
> the build for hardfp machines.
>
> The biggest reason I can think of *not* to make such a change is because
> there are already plans in the works to create a mipselnofp-linux target
> more closely describe the situation.  But I don't see any momentum behind
> it, and I'd rather have either multilib or mipselnofp than the default
case
> of "linux-vr must ship patches and maintain separate .debs and .rpms that
> contain a proper superset of mainline functionality".

I think that optimal for me would be if the tools from SGI worked for both
hard-float and soft-float, and we didn't have any linux-vr-specific tools.

Regards,
Brad