insmod hates RELA?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: insmod hates RELA?
From: Gordon McNutt <gmcnutt@ridgerun.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 13:50:56 -0600
Sender: gmcnutt@fnet.fr
I've compiled a module natively on an Indy (linux 2.4.0-test8), but when
I try to do an insmod (2.3.9) I get this error:

RELA relocations not supported on this architecture

I don't yet understand enough about ELF layouts to know what this means
and why MIPS doesn't support it. I thought I saw a message in the
archives stating that 64bit MIPS supports it, but maybe 32bit doesn't.
I've tried to make sure my compiler options match those being used to
compile the kernel (which works), but perhaps I'm overlooking something.

If anyone can give me some hints about what's going wrong I'd greatly
appreciate it. And if you can reply to me that would be best as I don't
subscribe to this list.

Thanks,
--Gordon