Re: PROPOSAL : multi-way cache support in Linux/MIPS

To: "Jun Sun" <jsun@mvista.com>, <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, <linux-mips@fnet.fr>, <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL : multi-way cache support in Linux/MIPS
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2000 10:26:38 +0200
Rather than re-invent the wheel, please consider the
cache descriptor data structures we developed at
MIPS to deal with this problem.  I believe that the
updated cache.h file, and maybe even the cpu_probe.c
file, was checked into the 2.2 repository at SGI long ago.
There are also a set of initialisation and invalidation routines
that key off the cache descriptor structure, but those aren't
in the SGI  repository (though anyone can get them from
ftp.mips.com or www.paralogos.com).  The CPU probe
logic (also on those sites, and already integrated
into several variants because it also supports setting
up state needed by the software FPU emulation)
is table-based, and for each PrID value, there is
a template for the cache characteristics, which
can either be taken "as is" or probed, depending
on a flag in the descriptor.  Since the number of
"ways" cannot always be determined by probing,
if the number of ways is specified, it is preserved
even if a cache probe is performed.   I won't attach the
full set of cache probe routines (which would only confuse
things), but here is the cache data structure definition
and the CPU descriptor template table that we use.

            Regads,

            Kevin K.