Re: Personal DECstation 5000/25

To: Dylan Griffiths <>
Subject: Re: Personal DECstation 5000/25
From: Kristoff Bonne <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 22:24:46 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Dylan Griffiths wrote:
>       Hey.. I have the above mentioned hardware, and have been trying to boot
> it
> over my network using a snapshot of the Linux MIPS code.  Unfortunately,
> tftp doesn't work with the kernel (> 1mb) because of PROM bugs.  I've been
> looking for a MOP loader.  The page mentions one "in development," but
> hasn't been updated in two years.  Could you point me to someone who would
> have it? (Or the code so I can finish it)

I 'played' with linux/MIPS on such a box about two years ago, and I this
the following:
- I had an ultrix-disk in the box, booted ultrix and ftp-ed the linux
kernel image onto that disk.
- I went back to the boot-prompt.
- I did a boot of the linux-kernel from that disk.

But, that was pre-Y2K and - as I know ultrix is not Y2K-  I am not sure
it would even still boot now ;-).

Cheerio! Kr. Bonne.
KB905-RIPE (home)                               belgacom internet backbone
(c=be,a=rtt,p=belgacomgroup,s=Bonne,g=Kristoff) MTM & Internat. Connect                      fax: +32 2 2435122