Re: Personal DECstation 5000/25

To: "Paul M. Antoine" <>
Subject: Re: Personal DECstation 5000/25
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 14:52:50 +0200 (MET DST)
On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Paul M. Antoine wrote:

> Although I've never done any work on it, I have a copy of the code, and a
> sample set of boot packets.  Also, I see there is a text file with the DEC
> specification for the MOP protocol...

 I am going to write an ELF backend for the mopd code available out there.
You'll be able to boot vmlinux directly then (no need to mess with COFF or
anything).  Actually I have all necessary bits figured out since February
(it's incredible how trivial they are and suitable for run-time parsing,
unlike BOOTP/TFTP)  but I decided the need to stabilize a modern glibc
2.2-based development environment for MIPS/Linux is more urgent.  As it
now basically happened, I will work on mopd RSN -- I am just too tired of
building fake DEC images of the kernel manually.

 I will try to integrate the better COFF support that was posted to the
pmax/NetBSD mailing list in December, but I expect problems due to
endianness issues and COFF magic numers inconsistencies.

 I am able to boot ~3MB images via MOP flawlessly (BOOTP/TFTP does not
work on my system at all), BTW.

> You can find all I have on the following URL
>          (an 80KB file)
> Please note that I pay for bandwidth, so if someone would mind putting this
> on a site that doesn't and linking it to the appropriate web sites, I'd
> appreciate it.

 That's small, so I put it at '' for now.
It should work fast from the US and very fast from Europe during
off-bussiness hours (we are UTC +0200).