Re: Kernel boot tips.

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Kernel boot tips.
From: Bryan Manternach <smash@sgi.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 15:34:17 -0700
Cc: "J. Scott Kasten" <jsk@tetracon-eng.net>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Sender: smash@sgi.com
Ralf Baechle wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 07, 2000 at 10:10:59AM -0300, J. Scott Kasten wrote:
>
> > I learned 3 slick booting tips for booting an Indy from disk without a
> > regular Linux boot loader that might be useful to some of the newbies.

A fourth means is to change the nvram to boot the file you want.
Leave /unix there,and call your linux kernel something like /linux2.2.0
and change the "kernname" nvram.

kernname=pci(0)scsi(0)disk(2)rdisk(0)partition(0)/unix
becomes

kernname=pci(0)scsi(0)disk(2)rdisk(0)partition(0)/linux2.2.0

This should work on the IRIX efs/xfs filesystem on the IRIX
partition.  Then you can create a script that resets the NVRAM
variable before reboot.

All we would need to make back and forth boots of IRIX/LINUX
is an "nvram" tool that runs under LInux.  (Which would be handy
for other porposes as well.