Re: O2 R5000/R10000

To: Diablero <poinde_t@epita.fr>
Subject: Re: O2 R5000/R10000
From: Eric Jorgensen <alhaz@xmission.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 21:46:36 -0600
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Sender: alhaz@fnet.fr
Diablero wrote:

> So Where can I find some docs ?
>
> I have a Mips R4000sc-50 with RiscOS and with no floppy drive nor a video
> card. I would like to install Linux on it. Can I use a pc floppy drive and
> a ISA pc video card ?

        You can use a PC floppy drive. You unfortunately need an exceptionally
funky framebuffer in these systems. Unless you know someone who has one
they're willing to donate, don't bother. The only source to buy one from
wants hundreds of dollars for them.

        You can still boot to a serial console, as far as i know, but I don't
have any details on how to do that. My Magnum 4000PC has it's
framebuffer.

        Linux runs on these boxes - But i can't really say where to get a
working kernel. I have a kernel that boots but never executes init,
which i got from sgi's linux ftp site.

 - Eric