Re: errno assignment in _syscall macros and glibc

To: Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de>
Subject: Re: errno assignment in _syscall macros and glibc
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:59:17 +0200
Cc: Mike Klar <mfklar@ponymail.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 08:53:30PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> I'm considering to commit the appended patch.  I've compiled glibc
> with it and didn't notice any problems.  If nobody objects, I'll apply
> it tomorrow.
>
> Ralf, are there any other places that needs to be changed?

libc/sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/sys/syscall.h should be patched the same way.

I remember that I once saw a program the __NR_ syscall numbers imported
via unistd.h.  Fixing won't be a big deal.

> What do you think of adding
> #ifdef KERNEL
> around _syscallX in <asm/unistd.h> ?

__KERNEL__ that is ...

Slightly radical but I like it.  It'll break some programs which are using
the _syscallX() macros to get syscalls which libc doesn't yet have wrappers
for just to get away without fixing / upgrading libc.  Those people still
can use syscall(3) in such a case.