Re: errno assignment in _syscall macros and glibc

To: Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>
Subject: Re: errno assignment in _syscall macros and glibc
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 23:48:33 +0200
Cc: Andreas Jaeger <aj@suse.de>, Mike Klar <mfklar@ponymail.com>, linux-mips@oss.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
On Sun, Jun 25, 2000 at 10:25:48PM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:

> > Sure; these days glibc is more or less synonym with libc and I was using
> > it in that sense.
> >
> > What small, portable libcs do we have available anyway?  Some mipers will
> > want one.
>
> I've been playing with the Linux8086 libc which is tiny but not portable when
> Prumpf pointed out that Cygnus newlib is designed for precisely this job. Its
> about 250K MIPS32 (my PDA has mips32/mips64 but not mips16 - duh!!)

Oh promised lands of small happy libcs :-)

Back to the original problem - the i386 <asm/unistd.h> __syscall_return
macro which is used by the _syscallX macros set the errno variable - even
inside the kernel.  In the age of SMP this looks broken - at least nothing
seems to rely on it.  So how about removing the whole errno thing from
there?