RE: Problems with multiple harddisks on my Indigo2

Subject: RE: Problems with multiple harddisks on my Indigo2
From: Paul Jakma <paul@clubi.ie>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 22:38:42 +0100 (IST)
Cc: spock@mgnet.de, Linux Debian MIPS <debian-mips@lists.debian.org>, Linux MIPS cthulhu <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>, Linux MIPS <linux-mips@fnet.fr>, MIPS vger <linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu>
On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Ian Chilton wrote:

> I have an SGI Indy, with 2 internal hard disks, a 4GB and a 1GB
>
> I get the same thing!
>

> > Also I'm getting a message
> > sc1,2,0: cmd=0x12 timeout after 2 sec.  Resetting SCSI bus
>
> I started getting this when I added the 2nd HD (1GB).

fwiw, i got this too on my indy when i added a Quantum Empire 1GB.

>From cold boot the PROM doesn't recognise the second disk, but IRIX
does (PROM gives me the exact same error message as the one you wrote
above - but prints it twice). If i halt back to PROM then the PROM
does see the second disk. (and only prints that error message once)

my theories are:

1. PROM controller driver is minimal and doesn't init the
controller/disks properly whereas the IRIX driver does.

2. disk spin up times.. ??

3. Perhaps cause the outboard SCSI port is not terminated. (least not
on my indy)

--
Paul Jakma      paul@clubi.ie
PGP5 key: http://www.clubi.ie/jakma/publickey.txt

Teach me to fish and I will eat forever.