Re: Icache coherency problems for R3400, DS5000/240

To: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Icache coherency problems for R3400, DS5000/240
From: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 23:08:56 +0200 (MET DST)
Cc: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>, "Gleb O. Raiko" <raiko@niisi.msk.ru>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Dominic Sweetman wrote:

> >  Hmm, that's weird.  It means my "IDT MIPS Microprocessor Family Software
> > Reference Manual" is bogus.
>
> Careful - I think I wrote that (duels have been fought over less).  I
> think it's original title was:
>
>   "IDT 3052 Microprocessor Family Software Reference Manual"
>
> and the R3052 and family (includes at least R3051, R3081, R3041) are
> all R3000-type CPUs.  So the book will describe "IsC" and not "DE" etc.

 Nope, I've copied the title exactly.  The book describes the MIPS
architecture up to MIPS IV and covers the following microprocessor
families: IDT79R30xx, IDT79R4xxx ORION and IDT79R5000, as stated
explicitly in the preface.  I find it very valuable, indeed.  It used to
be available at their FTP site; unfortunately it does not seem to,
anymore.  Anyway, its (order?) number is 3715 and I happily have it on a
CD-ROM they kindly sent me a few years ago for free.

> Bottom line, which I think everyone has got to: you need separate
> #defines for R4000-type and R3000-type status registers, but it makes
> sense to use the same names for the fields which are the same...

 Do you mean embedding unique CPU-specific strings in macro names?  That
would be an overkill, IMHO.  I suppose the way it's done in
include/asm-mips/mipsregs.h at the moment is absolutely sufficient.