Re: XFree86 3.3.2

To: Dan Aizenstros <dan@vcubed.com>
Subject: Re: XFree86 3.3.2
From: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:18:55 +0100 (BST)
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Dan Aizenstros (dan@vcubed.com) writes:

> Is XFree86 3.3.2 which is available from SGI and other ftp sites
> known to work on ATI MACH64 CT PCI video cards using the framebuffer
> driver atyfb.c on MIPS?

Just a note: PCI video cards carry a BIOS ROM.  Some initialisation
routines from the BIOS are automatically run by a PC platform when it
powers up, so Linux/x86 software always sees the card as initialised.

It's common practice to put vital things in the BIOS.  Many cards just
won't work without that initialisation, but on a non-x86 platform
that's what you're trying to do - even after you sort out all the
porting issues Ralf mentioned.

Algorithmics has partially solved this problem in other OS' - enough
to get X11 working on OpenBSD and a Windows CE screen up - by using an
x86 emulator to run enough of the video BIOS to set up the chip.  If
the responses you had already haven't frightened you out of trying it,
we might be able to make a copy of that available for your personal
use.  If it works, we'll figure out some way of licensing it.

Dominic Sweetman
Algorithmics Ltd
dom@algor.co.uk