CVS-2.3.99-pre8 broken?

To: linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: CVS-2.3.99-pre8 broken?
From: Karsten Merker <karsten@excalibur.cologne.de>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 20:33:42 +0200
Hallo everyone,

there seem to be two problems with the current CVS (2.3.99-pre8) and the
DECstation 5000/200: dz11-support does not compile due to

a) a bug in drivers/char/Makefile - the CVS-version contains

# set when a framegrabber implements i2c support
obj-$(L_I2C) += i2c-old.o

ifeq ($(CONFIG_DZ),y)
  L_OBJS += dz.o
endif

obj-$(CONFIG_NWBUTTON) += nwbutton.o
obj-$(CONFIG_NWFLASH) += nwflash.o

ifeq ($(CONFIG_DZ),y)
  L_OBJS += dz.o
endif

Doubling the if-clause gives no sense to me and the if-clause itself seems
to be wrong. This should be:

# set when a framegrabber implements i2c support
obj-$(L_I2C) += i2c-old.o

ifeq ($(CONFIG_DZ),y)
  obj-$(CONFIG_DZ) += dz.o
endif

obj-$(CONFIG_NWBUTTON) += nwbutton.o
obj-$(CONFIG_NWFLASH) += nwflash.o

b) a missing definition of SERIAL_MAGIC in drivers/char/dz.[ch]

SERIAL_MAGIC is defined as 0x5301 in several files
(drivers/macintosh/macserial.h, drivers/net/wan/z85230.h,
drivers/sbus/char/zs.h, drivers/sgi/char/sgiserial.h,
drivers/tc/zs.h and include/linux/serialP.h), so I just assumed
this is the correct value (without actually understanding the
source...).

I wanted to test whether just defining SERIAL_MAGIC to 0x5301 works,
but unfortunately my 5000/200 dies with an oops while booting. The display
tells me:
[...]
eth0: Sending bootp requests...<1>Unable to handle kernel pagig request at
      virtual address 00000000, ...
Oops in fault.c:do_page_fault, line 158.
[register dump and stack trace]

I first thought this to be due to a problem with the dz11-support, but the
same happens when running the machine without dz11-support and using
the (experimental) framebuffer console.
On a 5000/240 everything runs fine, using the same kernel image, so the
problem must be in a difference between the /200 and the /240.

Does anyone have similar problems? If yes, please describe your hardware
configuration.

Greetings,
Karsten
--