Re: Memory corruption: is anybody who remeber why ?!

To: Richard van den Berg <R.vandenBerg@inter.NL.net>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Subject: Re: Memory corruption: is anybody who remeber why ?!
From: "Vladimir A. Roganov" <roganov@niisi.msk.ru>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 17:21:22 +0400
Sender: vladimir@niisi.msk.ru
Richard van den Berg wrote:

> On Thu, 25 May 2000, Harald Koerfgen wrote:
>
> > On 22-Jul-99 Ralf Baechle wrote:
> > > CVSROOT:      /src/ftp/cvs
> > > Module name:  linux
> > > Changes by:   ralf@linus.linux.sgi.com        99/07/21 18:57:14
> > >
> > > Modified files:
> > >       include/asm-mips: Tag: linux_2_2 pgtable.h
> > >
> > > Log message:
> > >       Away you demons of memory corruption.  Burn, bug burn ...
>
> But they returned:
>
> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Harald Koerfgen wrote:

> > > [ravdberg@dolce ravdberg]$ uname -a
> > > Linux dolce 2.3.38 #5 Mon Feb 14 19:13:31 CET 2000 mips unknown
> > > [ravdberg@dolce ravdberg]$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
> > > cpu                     : MIPS
> > > cpu model               : R3000A V3.0
> > > system type             : Digital Personal DECstation 5000/xx
> > > BogoMIPS                : 24.84
> > > byteorder               : little endian
> > > unaligned accesses      : 0
> > > wait instruction        : no
> > > microsecond timers      : no
> > > extra interrupt vector  : no
> > > hardware watchpoint     : no
> > > VCED exceptions         : not available
> > > VCEI exceptions         : not available
> >
> > Never mind, but, beware, swapping is broken for 2.3.38 with R3000.
> >
> > While talking about the subject, I've put some assumptions into the
> > optimisation which seem to be valid for R3000As, but I am not exactly shure
> > if
> > they are true for other R2000/R3000 variants. Thus, I'd like to have some
> > feedback from other boxes, for example DS2100/3100 or Bagets.
>
> On 2.3.99-pre8 swapping is still broken... 2.3.21 is the latest version
> with swapping working on R3000 DECstation I know of.
>
> Regards,
> Richard

Looks like bug in swapping was swapped in again ;-)

P.S.

I just applied 3-lines long patch posted by Ralf (SWP_xxx defines from
pgtable.h)
to our 2.2.1 tree.

>From my current point of view it makes swapping Baget working like a lion:
no any program crash occured during one hour of very intensive testing by
few c++ compillation session working in parallel (Baget has only 16Mb RAM).

Any comments and tests are welcoming !

Regards,
Vladimir.