Re: Linux and the R3000

To: <>, <>, "Linux MIPS" <>
Subject: Re: Linux and the R3000
From: "Jay Carlson" <>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 06:51:25 -0400
Cc: <>
> On Wed, 17 May 2000 11:31:44 Colin Ford wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We are developing a wireless cable modem
> > system that uses an R3000 MIPS processor
> > at the consumers end. I would like to know
> > if it is at all possible to run Linux upon the
> > R3000 in an embedded environment?

I doubt that you're using a real R3000.  What processor are you using?

If it's TX39/R3912 you should look at the linux-vr CVS archive ).  Linux boots and runs on several devices based on the

> > I've downloaded the latest gcc 2.95.2 and binutils
> > 2.9.1. I've managed to build the cross compiler
> > target=mips-elf and host=linux(i686).
> Forget about that ;) .
> Gcc 2.95.2 never worked and will never work on MIPS.
> With other words: I would use binutils-2.8.1 with MIPS patches
> and egcs-1.0.3a with MIPS patches.

gcc 2.95.1 appears to work (rebuilds glibc and some apps) after the
application of , but
Klaus is right, egcs-1.0.3a+mips and binutils 2.8.1+mips are the gold
standard for development right now.

(I really need to update my toolchain makefile+patches to work with more
recent kernels...)