Re: Linux and the R3000

To: colin.ford@pipinghotnetworks.com, Linux MIPS <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: Re: Linux and the R3000
From: Klaus Naumann <spock@mgnet.de>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 11:50:40 +0200
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr
On Wed, 17 May 2000 11:31:44 Colin Ford wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are developing a wireless cable modem
> system that uses an R3000 MIPS processor
> at the consumers end. I would like to know
> if it is at all possible to run Linux upon the
> R3000 in an embedded environment?

As far as I know the R3000 should work with recent kernels
but at snail speed.
I don't know if this is also valid for your embedded system.

> I've downloaded the latest gcc 2.95.2 and binutils
> 2.9.1. I've managed to build the cross compiler
> target=mips-elf and host=linux(i686).

Forget about that ;) .
Gcc 2.95.2 never worked and will never work on MIPS.
Also binutils 2.9.1 are still broken. Both, gcc and
binutils are under heavy development and you _may_ be
able to use the cvs versions of these.
With other words: I would use binutils-2.8.1 with MIPS patches
and egcs-1.0.3a with MIPS patches.

        CU, Klaus

--
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network