Re: Indy Documentation

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Indy Documentation
From: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 12:08:30 +0200
Cc: Geert Uytterhoeven <geert@linux-m68k.org>, Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@calypso.engr.sgi.com>, linux@engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu
Sender: flo@rfc822.org
On Mon, May 15, 2000 at 11:23:58PM +0200, Ralf Baechle wrote:
> On Sun, May 14, 2000 at 08:58:18PM +0200, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>
> > YES! Time to put _all_ docs you can find on CDR. I always keep all technical
> > docs I download to store them on CDR from time to time, since those docs
> > tend
> > to vanish after a while (especially if they were on the manufacturer's
> > website).
>
> More documentation jewels - I've got now paper copies of R8000 documentation
> and a collection of stuff regarding the R6000.  I was told that the R6000
> was so buggy that understanding the internal circuitry is a prerequisite
> for writing an OS bug now I got everything we need.  Except a R6000
> machine :-)

What is the license or publishing restrictions of those documents ?

> Also I found that there is still a huge pile of Exabyte tapes that have the
> final full backup from the day when MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.  was
> shutdown by SGI after MIPS got bought in the early 90's.  That means that
> provided the legal problems involved with publication of such documentation
> get solved we now have everything that is required to support every machine
> ever made by MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.

How will these legal issues be brought on the track ? I think both
companies (SGI + Mips) should have an interest to free up these documents
or at least hand out to some people who sign some kind of NDA.

Flo
--
Florian Lohoff          flo@rfc822.org                  +49-subject-2-change