Re: SGI-Linux port progress?

To: Eric Watkins <watkinse@attens.com>, "Linux MIPS engr . sgi . com" <linux@engr.sgi.com>, Linux MIPS <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Subject: Re: SGI-Linux port progress?
From: Klaus Naumann <spock@mgnet.de>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 23:09:01 +0200
On Mon, 15 May 2000 22:44:54 Eric Watkins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was just gifted/given an Indigo 2.

I'm working on MIPS Linux on my Indigo2.
Can you give me a more detailed description of your system please ?

> It's working so I don't need any parts but I do want to know what the status
> of the hardhat project is. The files I found on the sgi site seemed out of
> date. Is any progress being made here?

Defenitely. At the moment there is some heavy development and we hope to have
stable binutils and glibc-2.2 soon (glibc 2.2 is still cvs).
With some patches 2.3.99-pre8 works at least for me and looks ok at the
moment.

> How soon till I can install linux without having IRIX on my harddrive? All
> of the FAQs/docs I could find seemed to have IRIX as a requirement to
> partition the HD properly.

That's somewhat incorrect. The fdisk which comes with the HardHat is doing
fine. At least I was able to partition my hardrive with it.

If you are really interested in installing Linux on your system you should
email me with a description of your system or better come to
irc.openprojects.net / #mipslinux and we can discuss the subject there.

        Cu, Klaus

--
Full Name   : Klaus Naumann     | (http://www.mgnet.de/) (Germany)
Nickname    : Spock             | Org.: Mad Guys Network