Dead function optimisation Call for Testers

To: linux-m68k@lists.linux-m68k.org, linux-alpha@vger.rutgers.edu, linux-mips@fnet.fr, sparclinux@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Dead function optimisation Call for Testers
From: greyham@research.canon.com.au (Graham Stoney)
Date: Mon, 8 May 2000 13:12:08 +1000 (EST)
Hi Gang,

A short while back I posted a patch to the linux-kernel list implementing
dead function optimisation in the Linux 2.2 series kernel. It's particularly
useful for reducing kernel size on embedded systems and boot disks when built
with minimal CONFIG options and can potentially reduce the number of #ifdefs
in the kernel source code, which is a good thing.

I'm looking for volunteers who are interested in trying the patch on their
architecture. It's been tested on i386 and ppc, but I'm particularly keen to
hear from users of other architectures. If enough people like it, I'll have a
better chance of getting it into the mainstream kernels.

If you're interested, you can download the patch from:

    http://members.xoom.com/greyhams/linux/patches/2.2/funcsect.patch

Thanks,
Graham
--