Re: VC exceptions

Subject: Re: VC exceptions
From: Bryan Manternach <>
Date: Mon, 01 May 2000 16:55:57 -0700
Cc: Ralf Baechle <>,, Florian Lohoff <>,,,, William Fisher <>
Thanks for following up on this, Bill...

William Fisher wrote:

>         The R5000, was designed and built by QED whom SGI funded to build the
> processor
>         for the O2 product line. SGI still owns the rights via MTI and is
> allowed to
>         license them to the various MIPS Licensees.
>         The QED folks ARE the original RXXXX Series designers who originally
> worked
>         for MIPS Computer System until SGI bought the company in 1992. The
> various
>         processor designs which they developed included the R2000/2010,
> R3000/3010,
>         R4000, R4400, R5000 and R7000 processors. Nearly all of the original
>         Computer systems processor designers are now working at QED. MIPS
> Technoloy
>         Inc, MTI, is mostly SGI processor designers and lots of new engineers
> who
>         own the SGI rights to the various MIPS processor designs.
>         The R8000 was shipped in a VME based machine which was placed in the
>         Challenge line which included R4400, R8000 and R10000 processors. As
> was noted
>         it was an SGI design in total and had a very short life-time.
> -- Bill

"I sense much NT in you.  NT leads to Blue Screen.  Blue Screen
 leads to downtime.  Downtime leads to suffering.  NT is the path
 to the darkside."              -- Unknown UNIX Jedi
Bryan 'SMASH' Manternach - MTI/TREX Systems Administration Team
SGI, 1200 Crittenden Pkwy, MS 30-4-175, Mountain View, CA 94943
E-mail:               Voice: (650)933-6856
 Pager:       Pager: (650)317-8483