Re: GLIBC 2.2 should work on MIPS-Linux

To: Florian Lohoff <flo@rfc822.org>
Subject: Re: GLIBC 2.2 should work on MIPS-Linux
From: Ralf Baechle <ralf@oss.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2000 14:34:54 -0700
Cc: Andreas Jaeger <aj@oss.sgi.com>, linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com, linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu, Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@oss.sgi.com>
On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 09:22:34PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:

> Pick the good out of all ? :) Honestly - We should keep an eye on
> memory footprint as the embedded people will be very interested in this.
>
> How much work would the IRIX ones be and what is the difference between
> the two ? Are they probably available as they are right now to just
> publish them and someone with a lot time may produce a superset for Linux ?

There are two FP emulators in IRIX.  The first one is fairly old, was already
used in RISC/os and is written in assembler.  I'm not sure if it can
properly deal with MIPS IV.  It's successor is written in C and is what's
currently being used in IRIX, is pretty clean and maintainable code.  It
was clearly written with a heavily optimizing compiler such as SGI's in
mind and I assume that it won't perform well without major restructuring
when compiled with GCC.  On the other side it's as far as I know the only
package that gets all the cornercases right.