Re: GLIBC 2.2 should work on MIPS-Linux

To: linux@engr.sgi.com
Subject: Re: GLIBC 2.2 should work on MIPS-Linux
From: Andreas Jaeger <aj@oss.sgi.com>
Date: 21 Apr 2000 10:40:36 -0700
Cc: linux-mips@fnet.fr, linux-mips@vger.rutgers.edu, Ulf Carlsson <ulfc@oss.sgi.com>, Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Sender: aj@oss.sgi.com

 > I would appreciate if you could build glibc and test it really hard.
 > I do expect problems in the following areas:
 > - definitions don't match between kernel and glibc.  I've used the
 >   latest 2.3 release.  The glibc will not run with Linux 2.0.x.
 > - Bugs in glibc itself.  glibc 2.2 is not released yet.  I strongly
 >   advise to use a chroot environment for testing.  Don't install the
 >   CVS version yet, it contains lots of new and untested code in
 >   comparison with glibc 2.1.
 > - binutils (use Ulf's version) and compiler (egcs 1.1.2 get internal
 >   compiler errors in some cases).  I'm trying to get gcc 2.96 CVS
 >   running but do appreciate your help in testing and fixing.
Upps, I was to fast.  I should have added that the handling of
floating point numbers seems to be quite broken.  I haven't had time
to investigate whether this is a bug in glibc, kernel (at least
partially - we do need a real FPU emulation!) or gcc.

Feel free to send patches to fix this ;-)

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de