Re: Which linux for IDT RC32364

To: Ralf Baechle <ralf@uni-koblenz.de>
Subject: Re: Which linux for IDT RC32364
From: Dominic Sweetman <dom@algor.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 09:27:10 +0100 (BST)
Cc: lars brinkhoff <lars.brinkhoff@intermec.com>, linux-mips@fnet.fr
Ralf wrote:

> > We tried compiling the latest Linux/MIPS version from SGI with
> > the SDE tools, but if failed on the first .c files with parse
> > errors in the header files and error messages from the assembler.
> > Any idea why?
>
> ``I stuffed my right arm into a shredder and it did hurt.  Any idea why?'' ;-)
> The SDE tools are simply not intended to be used for Linux.  Use the
> Linux/MIPS tools or prepare to be burried alive in error messages.

SDE-MIPS is a GNU C toolchain configured for embedded applications.
We've not (in the past) done any work to support the SGI-derived
position-independent code required for Linux libraries, for example.

The makefiles, libraries and run-time software are quite distinct from
Linux.

The compiler itself, though, is GNU C.  Algorithmics have done quite a
lot of work to make it produce better code and target a wide range of
MIPS CPUs, and these improvements have often been too extensive to
have been accepted into the standard GNU repositories (whose
maintainers are responsible for keeping the compiler working across
many architectures).

(If people maintaining GNU-for-Linux want to see what we've done, the
 source code is freely available on our web site)

It's obviously a pity not to share those compiler improvements with
Linux users.  So it's our intention (before the end of 2000, we hope)
to build a supportable Linux compiler from the same source tree, and to
offer commercial support contracts for a Linux toolchain.

If people working on Linux at SGI share these goals, perhaps we should
talk - but it's possible that SGI's goal (Linux for a
tightly-constrained in-house system?) may be pretty different from
ours (Linux for a diverse range of MIPS-powered embedded things).

Dominic
dom@algor.co.uk