Re: Unaligned address handling, and the cause of that login problem

To: "Mike Klar" <mfklar@ponymail.com>, <linux@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com>
Subject: Re: Unaligned address handling, and the cause of that login problem
From: "Kevin D. Kissell" <kevink@mips.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 09:32:04 +0200
Cc: <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Note that, as part of what we had to do to support
the newer generations of MIPS32 chips that support
LL/SC, but only for 32-bit quantities, I did a complete
rework of the semaphore support primatives to
eliminate this dependency on 64-bit LL/SC.
See the source tar and patch file on the MIPS
FTP server ftp://ftp.mips.com/pub/linux/mips/kernel
or even the slightly earlier patches webbed on the
www.paralogos.com/mipslinux pages.

It *was* a rewrite from first principles, based
on study of the documentation and the x86
and PPC code, and while I can guarantee it
won't have the unaligned  doubleword problem,
I'd be interested in anyone elses critique of the
implementation.

            Regards,

            Kevin K.