Re: terminal - unknown

To: Rabeeh Khoury <rabeeh@galileo.co.il>
Subject: Re: terminal - unknown
From: Peter Chubb <peterc@aurema.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 11:15:57 +1100 (EST)
Cc: "linux-mips@fnet.fr" <linux-mips@fnet.fr>
Comments: Hyperbole mail buttons accepted, v04.023.

Rabeeh> Hi
Rabeeh> I'm running my embedded system using serial console ttyS0 ; the serial
Rabeeh> driver is based on standard serial driver I took from the char devices
Rabeeh> (16550 compatible) ; the problem that the terminal that is opened over
Rabeeh> the serial line is declared 'unknown' which prevents me from running
Rabeeh> programs such as linuxconf.

Rabeeh> do you have any suggestions how can I change the terminal type ?

Set the environment variable TERM to whatever kind of terminal you
have hanging off the serial cable.  If it's a terminal emulator  you
can probably get away with
    export TERM=ansi
or
    export TERM=vt100

If it's cu in an xterm then
   export TERM=xterm

You may need to install extra terminal descriptions --- at least in
Debian only the most-used ones are installed by default, and there's
a separate package for all the rest.

Peter C